SweetBread (Massa Souvada)
6-8 loaves…**depending on the size of baking pans
Prep time: 8 hr
Cook time: 40 min
1/2 cup of shortening (or lard)
3 pkg ( 1/4 oz envelopes) dry active yeast
1/2 cup of lukewarm water
2 cups of whole milk
2 cups of granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter
3/4 tsp salt
10 cups of all purpose flour
8 eggs * at room temperature
1 tablespoon of water
1 In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water and let rise to double in size.
2 In a larger bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
3. In saucepan, melt butter and shortening in milk and cool to lukewarm.
4. In a medium bowl, beat eggs and sugar together.
5. Create a well in the large bowl of dry ingredients, add the eggs and sugar, melted butter and milk and last add the yeast. Mix all ingredients together and knead until dough is nice and smooth (at least 20 min). Dough tends to be on the wet side so resist the urge to add much more flour. Let rise until double in size, usually six to eight hours.
6. Punch down, deflating the dough. Form individual breads and put in buttered and floured pans ( any shape or size will do).
The dough should fill only half the pan. Let rise again until dough doubles in size, filling the pan.
7. Brush top of dough with beaten egg.
8. Bake at 325 degrees-preheated oven for 40 to 60 minutes (adjust longer cook time for larger loaves).
The bread should be golden brown.